Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fun with friends

When my wife arrived for a week's visit recently we were amazed by the affection showered by close friends. We enjoyed lunch and dinner at various restaurants hosted by them. We indeed have been blessed with wonderful friends.
And now many blog friends have proved to be a boon. There are some with whom I chat and speak my mind out. I have helped some handle personal issues, while many have offered solace when I have been down, beaten by loneliness. Especially three from Shillong, Canada and Mumbai.
So it was that I invited home a former colleague who is now a famous journalist. "My wife will make special "Dosas" (South Indian rice speciality) for your family," I promised. She rang up next day to say she would not make it in the morning but would do so late in the evening. She did come with her cute baby and hubby. We had a fun-filled chat, but I forgot totally about the dosas. When she was about to pack up after coffee, this dear friend quipped jovially, "What happened to your dosas?"
You should have seen the embarrassment on my face. After a bitter scolding from my wife, we decided to visit a Madrasi restaurant near our house. We had a great dosa party. (Picture: baby Pravda)

18 comments:

  1. hahaha, I can imagine the frown on your wife's face...my husband gets it many times ;)

    thank you for your wonderful comments on my post...

    good ya, you are blessed with amazing friends..I will pray that the friendship lasts forever...amen..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the Dosa party happened after all! The baby looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dosas I have had here in the US are probably not authentic, but they are delicious! Thinking of you often my good friend, Ramesh. Your posts always brighten my day. Wishing you cheers and nothing but the best! Big hugs... namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed to have such good friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, you still didn't spill the secrets on how to make doshas that don't fall apart...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No excuses are gonna work....if you promise a Dosa prepared by your wife,i am not going to have any from a hotel...nothing compares to a home made Dosa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FORGOT?!! You must be the talk of the town now! Home-made is home-made! 'Pravda' it rings a bell...what does it mean? She looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice to know that you have such great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you had a great time. The baby looks so cute. Her real name is Pravda? Like the old Soviet Union newspaper and official voice of the Communist Party?

    ReplyDelete
  10. embarrasment on your face i wanted to have you describe the look on your wife's face more, this was always the case at my home when I was a kid, dad would invite ppl and forget to tell mom and then it was fun when they came, we didnt have many eat out options then..so the cooking had to be done at home

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am happy for you!!! And you forgot to tell your wife about the dosas??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely try the Dosa when I go back to an indian restaurant :)
    You are blessed with great friend and you seem to be a great friend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to say one thing...good friends are for those who themselves belong that elite category....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You promised them a global dosa and treated them a Madrassi Dosa. Very Bad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ramesh...please visit my other blog too...today is my last post of this turn...we have divided one week each,my week ends tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete